Sunday, May 28, 2017

Yazd

a Golden Age for cyclists in Yazd...



the court yard of Orient Hotel in Yazd, where I had a wonderful time (very friendly people, excellent rooms, breakfast buffet, best view from the roof-top terrace, traditional Iranian food in the restaurant...)



Jame Mosque of Yazd





Amir Chakhmaq Complex



wind catcher



The Nakhl in Yazd usually weigh several tons and are considered to be the oldest and tallest in Iran, dating back to the Safavid dynasty. On the day of Ashura the decorated Nakhl is carried on the shoulders of hundreds of male mourners symbolising the coffin of Al-Ḥusayn ibn ‘Alī ibn Abī Ṭālib.



View from Orient Hotel, roof-top terrace.





Court yard of Orient hotel at night.





inside Jame Mosque











Yazd is a maze of narrow alleys and built wholly of mud brick and adobe.





Water museum of Yazd, a reminder that the irrigation system, the qanāt, draining water from the mountains and into the city through pipes that run for many miles underground is essential for Yazd.



The Isar, Munichs river, is everywhere...
I booked a night train from Yazd to Tehran and had to bring my bicycle one day before departure to the train station. I asked at the ticket office, they sent me 100m to another building, I shook hands with about 12 people, enjoyed 4 cups of tea with different officers, filled a few forms and one of the train drivers had a job to do close to city center and I got a lift back in his car. Thank you.
My bike arrived in Tehran and I collected it from a place close to central train station.







Zoroastrian towers of silence









Bazar in Yazd.